It was recently my brother in law’s birthday and he asked for Lemon Meringue cupcakes. AIso, he recently bought me a kitchen torch and I had been excited for a chance to use it. My afternoon, however, ended up filled with last minute auditions and I was left with only one hour to make him cupcakes. These were my “in-a-pinch” solution.
If you are a lemon cupcake-lover these are for you. They are kinda amazing. They have cream cheese IN them as well as in the frosting so they have a bit of a cheesecake quality to them. They are still super cakey- but sponge-y and almost creamy in texture. All of these things make them super delicious.
I added a lot more lemon zest to the recipe than it called for because it just didn’t seem like enough. The result was perfect. Tart and also sweet. I will absolutely be making these again. For a garnish I made some simple lemon twists. Enjoy!
(Note: Whenever I am in a pinch to get my cupcakes made and frosted I take a shortcut and put the cupcakes in the freezer for about 10 minutes right after I take them out of the oven. This may be bad for some recipes, but it worked just fine for these!)
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese
- Zest of 2 Lemons
- 2/3 cup sugar2 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- Beat together the butter, cream cheese, lemon zest and sugar, then beat in eggs until smooth.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt to the cheese mixture and beat with your mixer on low speed until just combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cups that have been lined with paper cupcake liners.
- Bake at 325F about 25 minutes until firm to the touch.
- While cupcakes are baking, make frosting by beating the frosting ingredients together until smooth
- Let cool 10 minutes in pan, then transfer to a wire rack. Frost when cooled.
- Beat cream cheese, butter, lemon juice, lemon rind, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy.
- Add confectioners' sugar in 2 additions. Beat until creamy. Add more icing sugar or juice as needed for easy spreading.
This recipe yields 12 cupcakes. The frosting, however, makes a little bit more than enough. I like a lot of frosting, but if you want a little less, you could easily half this recipe!