Oh! I cannot wait to share this simple and delicious cake with you, (plus I have a lovely giveaway so that makes today extra special.) Also, I got to bake this cake with my Mama which I so rarely get to do. So yes- I’m pretty excited right now. Be excited too Ok?
You know I’m a fan of quick and simple desserts and this one is that and more. It was so delicious that I am getting cranky with all the cravings I have for a taste while writing this post. I think was I love most about it is that it’s really not too sweet. It’s satisfying but light at the same time! So-eating several pieces throughout the day becomes much more of an option. In fact I totally support you eating this for breakfast and maybe all the other meals too? (Which I absolutely did.)
Like so many of my favorite cake recipes, the presence of buttermilk makes the texture melt in your mouth good. The batter comes together in minutes and before baking, pieces of juicy seasonal strawberries are scattered across the top. Strawberries out of season? Use raspberries or blackberries instead! I also can’t wait to try this with chunks of juicy peach later in the summer. Mmm.
The original recipe I adapted this from didn’t have any sort of frosting at all, but I always need something white and fluffy on top to make it feel like cake. A sprinkling of sugar before baking created a nice sweet crust, still keeping this whole dessert not too sweet at all. Barely sweetened whipped cream made the finished product taste almost like shortcake.
When I knew this post would be a part of Pampered Chef’s “Help Whip Breast Cancer” campaign, I knew I needed to make something pink(ish.) I knew I wanted lots of bright berries but strawberries were the most in season so they won. But hey- red strawberries, white whipped cream- you get where I’m going with this right?
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 cup strawberries cut in half
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter, flour and parchment a 9-inch round cake pan.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat well.
- At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
- Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter berries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp sugar.
- Bake until cake is golden and a cake tester/toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool until room temperature.
- Cake can be served warm, but if you plan to top it with whipped cream, allow it to cool all the way.
- Using a cold bowl and cold beaters, whip the cream until stiff and stir in the powdered sugar. Spread the whipped cream over the top of the cake and garnish with fresh berries.